Fort Harrison 
Daniel Harrison House, circa 1749


Fort Harrison in Dayton, Virginia
        Daniel Harrison moved to the Shenandoah Valley from Delaware around 1738 and settled on Naked Creek, Augusta County, in what is now Rockingham County.  In 1749 he purchased a 120-acre tract of land on Cook's Creek and built his stone house - the front portion of today's structure.

        The years leading up to the French and Indian War (1756-1763) were times of considerable danger for settlers in the Shenandoah Valley.  As a captain in the militia and a large landowner, Daniel Harrison was a prominent leader in the community. His solidly built stone house was a natural fort when raiding parties of Indians roamed the area. He is said to have added a stockade to enclose the house, as well as an underground tunnel to a nearby spring. 

        Fort Harrison, as the house became known, was also the home of Benjamin Harrison, a son of Daniel's who served as a militia officer  during the Revolution. Benjamin's son, Peachy Harrison, was the last Harrison to own the house.  Peachy Harrison and his family lived in Harrisonburg, where he was a local physician.






335 Main Street
Dayton, Virginia

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 366
Dayton, Virginia 22821

email:
[email protected]

Mr. Jenkins Builds a Stone Wall
2024 marks the 275th anniversary of the building of Daniel Harrison's stone dwelling house.  In recognition of this important milestone, we will be focusing on the building trades, especially stonemasonry, at the Colonial Trades Fair this year.
Colonial Trades Fair
          June 15th
      10 am til 3 pm
Double click here to add text.