Daniel Harrison House, circa 1749
Interested in learning more about us?
Wreaths Across America 2018
On December 15, 2018, volunteers from the Dayton community and beyond gathered to lay wreaths on all the veteran graves in the Dayton Cemetery. There are at least 186 veterans, starting with those from the French and Indian War, buried on the grounds.
The history of the earliest Harrisons establishing their home along Cook's Creek in the 1740s is intertwined with the establishment of the cemetery in what would become the Town of Dayton.
Captain Daniel Harrison donated land for a "Chapel of Ease" to the Augusta Parish in 1747. In 1838, Dr. Peachy Harrison and other local citizens established the site as a local burying ground.
Fort Harrison Inc. was honored to sponsor this event for the hometown heroes of Dayton.
Below are some photos of this great event, starting with the ceremony held at Pence Middle School.
Photography by Cheryl Lyon and Jim Sanders